Monday, April 4, 2016

Day 7 -- Cruising the fjords

A not very exciting day, due to the weather.  A bit of "rock a bye baby" overnight once we were out into the Pacific again, but nothing to spoil a good sleep.  Today has been dull, misty, rainy.  We traversed the Fallos Channel, but could barely see the mountains on either side of the ship, and certainly caught no sight of the ice fields inland in Argentina.  Chile down here is a very narrow strip of land.  So I've settled for the usual routine of a different bar for each morning and afternoon tea.

After lunch we put out into the Pacific again.  Low visibility and a 3 metre swell.  I have noticed that being so far forward on the ship, my cabin feels the up and down motion a lot more than sitting in a bar amidship.  When the wind gusts to about 30 knots, it creates a whistling or moaning sound that is hard to escape.  Outside temperature is 13C, but haven't ventured out, so am quite comfortable in the ship's aircon.   Mid afternoon I did 30 minutes on the treadmill in the gym:  a bit of a balancing trick at times with the ship's motion.  This evening we have moved into the Trinidad Channel, and all is smooth sailing again.

The ship's TV doesn't offer much.  Once you skip over their shopping and info channels, there is 1 movie channel, 3 news channels, and 1 sports channel.  Luckily I loaded up my Kindle before I left home.

Onboard internet must be a gold mine for someone.  They charge per minute of connection, not per mb of data usage.  And the connection can be really slow at times.  Downloading the day's emails can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.  Today I went onto Dymocks to send Sophie a gift card for her birthday:  operation took 17 minutes.  Cost is between 50c and 95c US per minute depending on the plan you purchase!  Needless to say I have tooled up to do as much preparation as I can offline before connecting to upload.  But I see some people wandering around chatting all day on their phones:  their bill must be outrageous.

Lined up at the Four Seasons again for dinner tonight.  Potato soup, beef stroganoff and chocolate pudding with a Peroni.  Nice.  I might settle into the Sports Bar tonight.  I see they have been showing Australian NRL footy games there.  Will take in the late session in the Starlight Theatre too, where a top European magician is doing his tricks.

Just a few snaps from around the ship today.  You can catch them Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment