Saturday, May 19, 2018

Day 1 : Arrival

The Air New Zealand flight left on time at 11 am.  Nothing to see on the way except cloud and ocean.  We arrived just after 2 pm local time.  The bio-detection dog earned his keep, tagging a suitcase that was promptly hauled off with its owner, never to be seen again.  Arrivals was quite efficient.  Five mi I-buses were lined up and we were assigned to the one that would deliver us to our resort.  By 3 pm I was being settled into my delightful apartment by a very friendly hostess.  (Already I was wishing I had booked in for the full week instead of 4 days! )

First task was to drive back to Burnt Pine township to sign up the car rental -- a cute little VW, rego NI 4182.  One of the oddities here: the ignition key hangs on a piece of wire from the steering column and is left in the car at all times.  A separate key will lock the car, but apparently no one bothers much.  I managed to get lost on the way back to Coast - temporarily - and had my first near miss with an animal when a skittish calf decided to gallop across he road without warning.

I have booked a couple of tours, and got myself a museum pass that admits to all 5 museums on the island.  So I am set to get exploring tomorrow.  It has turned rainy tonight, so a quiet night in is planned  after I have dinner at the local Leagues Club.

A few snaps setting the scene can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment